The Helix – Tuesday 28th December 2021
Legends of Irish music & song The FUREYS, renowned for their hit songs ‘I will love you’, ‘When you were sweet 16’, ‘The Green fields of France’, ‘The old man’, ‘Red rose café’, ‘From Clare to here’, ‘Her father didn’t like me anyway’, ‘Leaving Nancy’, ‘Steal away’ etc return to The Helix on Tuesday 28th December.
The FUREYS have been entertaining audiences worldwide for 44 years, audiences that have included former Australian Prime Minister John Howard, Former Irish President Mary Mc Aleese and the late Pope John Paul while Tony Blair has publicly stated his favourite peace song of all time is the FUREYS “Green Fields of France” and President Michael D Higgins attended their last concert in National Concert Hall.
The band was formed in 1978 literally by accident. George, Paul and Davey were playing in Denmark with their own band called the Buskers and Eddie and Finbar, while touring in Germany were involved in a road accident. When George and Paul got news of the accident they immediately travelled to Germany to be with their brothers. They then decided that they should all be playing together and this was the start of the FUREYS.
Inevitably changes have occurred over the years. Their brother Paul died suddenly in June 2002 and Finbar left the band in December 1996, however George and Eddie have continued to delight audiences on their tours and have released a new CD ‘The Fureys…40 years on…to be continued’
The oldest of the brothers, Eddie Furey left home in 1966 and travelled to Scotland at the time of the great folk revival where he met and shared accommodation in Edinburgh with then unknown folk singers Billy Connolly, Gerry Rafferty and Alex Campbell, now all famous in their own right. In 1969 with his brother Finbar, he was the special guest for the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem throughout the USA and Canada. In 1971 he moved to mainland Europe where he toured for seven years, building up a huge following particularly in Germany. Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics has credited Eddie with teaching him his first chords on guitar when they met up in the North East of England while Dave was still a teenager.
The FUREYS are responsible for some of the most stirring music ever to capture the public imagination. Their folk based music has received standing ovations in some of the biggest concert halls of the world and they credit their musical ability to their parents, Ted and Nora, who were well known musicians themselves. They encouraged their sons to play music from a very early age and there was live traditional music in their house almost nightly.
Their emotive songs stir many emotions….tears and laughter, sadness and joy.
A FUREYS concert is always a night to remember
COVID-19 SAFETY INFORMATION & VENUE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
In line with Government guidelines performances have returned to The Helix at full capacity. This means that it is likely that people not in your group will be sitting next to you, however everyone gaining access to The Helix will be vaccinated and will be required to wear a mask (except when eating/drinking). For your safety, and in line with government guidelines, we are required to introduce the below measures to help ensure we keep our staff and patrons safe as well as providing you with peace of mind.
ESSENTIAL COVID 19 INFORMATION FOR VALID ENTRY TO THE HELIX:
- Please do not attend The Helix if you have symptoms of Covid-19
- In order to gain access to The Helix, it is required that you provide a copy of your EU Digital COVID Vaccination Certificate or COVID-19 Recovery Certificate (recovery within last 6 months) and photo ID when asked upon entering the venue. Please have these ready before entering the queue management system.
- Negative PCR, Antigen/Lateral Flow tests are not acceptable for entry
- Please put on your mask before entering the building and keep it on at all times, including during the performance. Masks are required at all times by patrons aged 9 and over, except for a brief moment when eating or drinking, while in the venue, for the respect and safety of your fellow patrons.
- The Theatre & The Mahony Hall have Air Handling Units which extract air from the room and supply it with fresh air in line with EU Legislation. More at the bottom of this document.
- Accompanied minors (children under 18 years of age) are not required to be fully vaccinated or recovered to attend events and do not need to show a COVID-19 cert
- Unaccompanied minors are required to be fully vaccinated or recovered to attend events and do need to show a COVID-19 cert
- Boooker details for events will have their information kept on file after the event for contact tracing purposes. Your GDPR rights will not be affected
- To avoid disappointment, please arrive early to The Helix to help avoid congestion and to allow time for presentation of your ticket and Vaccination/Recovery certificate.
- Due to Covid restrictions, guests will be asked to take their seats shortly after arrival.
- Please use hand sanitizer upon entering and exiting the building. Sanitizer can be found at our numerous sanitizing stations throughout the venue.
- Our professional cleaning staff are sanitizing highly used touchpoints on an ongoing basis throughout the venue.
- Staff will wear masks and follow the Helix’s Covid policies to ensure patron’s safety.
- If possible, please us contactless payments when purchasing from the Café and Confectionary stands
- Ticket scanning will be contactless and staff will scan your ticket while maintaining social distancing and will direct you to your seat while maintaining a distance.
- Please ensure social distancing while queuing for entry and please adhere to all Covid regulations and announcements while in the venue, such as: social distancing where possible, using hand sanitizer and practicing good hygiene etiquette.
- Once purchased, tickets are non-transferable.
- It is required that you remain in your assigned seat and do not move to any empty seat or move around the theatre/hall.
- If you have recently returned from another country (in the last 14 days) please do not come to The Helix unless you have completed government requirements such as quarantining, self-isolation, testing etc.
- Please do not gather in large groups or mix with people from outside your household inside or outside of the Helix.
- These requirements are supplemental to any government guidelines/announcements.
Info on our Air Handling Units
- Air Handling Unit info: Our auditoriums are standalone sealed rooms when all doors are closed. A Minstral Air, Air Handling Unit is dedicated to each room. AHUs have the capability for heating or cooling the auditoriums. AHUs also have the capacity to continually exchange 100 % fresh air in the auditoriums to comply with COVID-19 REHVA regulations. The Building Management System (BMS) that controls the AHUs is programmed to supply 100% fresh air into the room and extract 100% air from the room before, during and after the room is occupied by an audience, staff or performers. The Air Handling Units dampers are closed to prevent any " recycling " of air in the auditorium. The BMS is monitored regularly checked for compliance by DCU Estates and The Helix.